King City, CA, March 16, 2020 — Robert Valladares, MD Chief Medical Officer at Mee Memorial Healthcare System, today issued the following statement about Mee Memorial’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak:
In addition to following coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Mee Memorial Healthcare System has enacted strict protocols for patients presenting to our facilities with respiratory symptoms or a fever, as well as a restricted visitor policy.
- If any respiratory symptoms or fever symptoms are present, patients are urged to call ahead before entering the facilities.
- All patients that present to our facility will be screened upon registering. If there is concern for COVID-19 infection, patients will be given a surgical mask and be isolated in a separate room for evaluation by a healthcare professional.
- All visitors must be 16 years of age or older.
- Only one visitor per patient per day is allowed in the hospital.
- Patients and visitors may only enter through the hospital main entrance.
- Emergency Department entrance is to be used for ED patients only.
- Waiting room is for patients only.
- No visitors are allowed in the following areas: Skilled Nursing Facility, Dialysis, or Rehab Services.
- No visitors at any time with any respiratory symptoms including, cough, shortness of breath or a fever.
Potential visitors will be screened at hospital entrances and all visitors will sign in and out. As the health, safety, and security of our team and community remain our top priority, and in order to stay healthy, please ensure continuous and efficient hand washing occurs, avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or in the crook of your elbow, stay home if ill, and clean/disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The well-being of our healthcare providers and staff as well as our most vulnerable populations in the community remain our highest priority in this challenging but not insurmountable time. We will continue sharing more COVID-19 updates in the coming days via our Facebook (MeeMemorial) and Instagram (MeeMemorialHealthcare) accounts, as well as through the news media.
Advice for Members of the Public
We urge people to stay vigilant and take preventative actions as they would for any respiratory virus. There is no vaccine to prevent novel coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. For a list of precautions that members of the public should be taking, we recommend the web page being maintained by the CDC at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov. The CDC is updating vital information on its website daily, in English and Spanish.
About Mee Memorial Healthcare System
Mee Memorial Hospital is a not-for-profit community hospital and is the primary health care resource for residents of Southern Monterey County.
The 73-bed hospital is the core of the Mee Memorial Healthcare System, which also includes comprehensive medical clinics in King City and in Greenfield.